[Market-farming] Dealing with baby grasshoppers

Carla Maness manessfarm at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 23:11:59 EDT 2012

We haven't had much luck using the organic stuff. Nolo bait works, but it
takes time, a long time, it's expensive, and you have to keep putting it
out. Meanwhile, those baby grasshoppers are growing into adult grasshoppers
and eating everything in sight.  I've recently lost a 400' row of flowers,
a 400' row of cucumbers, and nearly all of a 400' row of squash to
grasshoppers. 14 flats of lettuce recently seeded were nearly wiped out due
to the little darlings.

I'll be glad when my neighbor plants his winter wheat. Once it's up the
hoppers will move onto his place and leave me alone. That seems to the
magic cure around here. The neighbor is waiting on rain, the rain won't
come, and the grasshoppers are eating everything.  This year is by far the
worse we've ever had as far as grasshoppers go. And, aphids too, for that
matter. They are on everything.

I'm about ready to torch the place and be done with it. Sadly, we are still
under a burn ban so I can't even do that :)

Carla
Perkins, OK

>>> http://www.facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming