[Market-farming] Dealing with baby grasshoppers

Todd Lister toddlister1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 19:00:16 EDT 2012

I use a product called Semaspore Bait. It is readily available on the net.
It is in the form of what looks like small oat flakes. Don't know exactly
what it is but it works. It's organically approved. It works by starting a
disease that spreads in the hopper population. Grasshoppers cannibalize
other hoppers that are injured or sick, thus spreading the illness. Needs
to be re-applied after heavy rain. I try to always have a bag on hand in
the spring. I broadcast handfuls throughout the place. Not on the actual
food.
It is VERY important to keep hopper habitat under control. I spend a lot of
time weed eating all grasses and non crop veg. numerous sources price this
product differently. ARBIC is a good source for a lot of organic resources
for pest control from ladybugs and preying mantis to nematodes. Check them
out:

http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/semaspore-organic-grasshopper-control/pest-solver-guide-grasshoppers-crickets

Good luck,
Todd Lister