[Market-farming] selling cut sunflowers

Todd Lister toddlister1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 00:18:37 EDT 2012

You know, It seems like we have continued to lengthen ours. Many of our
sunflowers go to kids and they love the big handle of a long stalk. About
24" I guess.  6"-8" faces. We wrap stem ends with paper, dip it in water
and put it in a corn-based baggie with a rubber band. They travel well.
We sell a lot of flowers and I generally try to get as much length as I can
short of negatively impacting the plant.
On cuts, I always want to give the end user options as they create
bouquets. They can cut them shorter.  They appreciate the option.  Many
flower plants get cut to the next node.  Some Globe Amaranth colors can get
big and dense.   The purple and bi-color  seem to get huge here in NE Ga.
I usually cut them down 2 nods to get length.  Same with Zinnias.
Hope that helps.,
Todd