[Market-farming] snapping tops off carrots

Vern and Amy vaspencer at sisna.com
Fri Nov 23 11:50:37 EST 2012

So how wide are the tops of your ridges when you plant, and what is your
planter?  I can't get any closer than about 8" with 2 Planet Jr.'s
unless I run a single planter down the ridge twice.

I have seen a Scott Biner carrot harvester, and I don't see how a
table-top hand-feed version would be feasible, unless maybe upside down
without the belts.  The machine undercuts, grabs the tops with two belts
held together tightly with multiple rollers as it transfers the crop to
the topper, which is a set of several blunt blades that slide together
like your fingers if you spread your fingers and slide the fingers of
both hands past each other to lock your hands.  Maybe somebody else can
run with that.

Vern