[Market-farming] snapping tops off carrots

Shoemaker, William H wshoemak at illinois.edu
Thu Nov 22 12:45:41 EST 2012

I know some commercial growers top them in the ground by mowing the tops off. The tops can be brushed aside or blown off. The type of mower (rotary, sickle, hammermill, etc.) probably will make a difference in how clean the process is. But you could still undercut the roots. Lifting them might be hampered a bit, but eliminating hand-topping might be a good trade-off.

William H. Shoemaker,
Northern Illinois Viticulturist - IGGVA
Illinois Grape Growers and Vinters Association
wshoemak at illinois.edu