[Market-farming] commercial kitchen advice?

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Thu Nov 15 09:22:09 EST 2012

We just had one of the Cottage Industry regs passed here and I  had high
hopes for what we'd be able to do with it.  But after reading  through the
list of what's permitted and what's not, we've gone back to our  planning and
scheming for building our own commercial kitchen here (postage  stamp sized
of course).  There are just too many things we'd like to be  able to do,
which we couldn't do under the Cottage Industry permit.

I found myself wondering whether there might be grant funds for this  type
of project, either at the local, state or federal level.  That would  in
part depend on whether you planned to make this facility available to
neighbors.  If yes, that might open up a huge variety of funding options  (but then
you'd have to get along really well with your neighbors).  If  not, the
chances aren't as good but it's worth exploring.

Not exactly a commercial kitchen per se, but Sugar Mountain Farm in VT  has
been building an on-farm butchering facility for their own use, after
getting tired of driving down their mountain to get their hogs to the
processor.  While that might not have much overlap with your specific  products,
their fundraising method is noteworthy.  They had a substantial  amount of money
they needed to raise, and they did so with online fundraising  tools which
I really have to admire.  Their customers essentially built  that facility
for them.  You may want to visit their blog and read more  about how they
funded that building; it's a substantial building with a  substantial pricetag,
and as far as I know it was entirely bootstrapped with  funds from their
own earnings, AND donations from their own customer base.   Now THAT is
community supported agriculture.  Their website is _http://sugarmtnfarm.com/_
(http://sugarmtnfarm.com/) .  The owner  Walter may also have some advice on how
to work with state regulators to get  something like that approved;
different state but probably a  universally-applicable mindset.

One last suggestion - there are a variety of state-specific and regional
agricultural advocacy groups who exist to help get projects like these going,
 and provide guidance, resources and perhaps some 'grease the wheels'
assistance  too.  In our area, one of the more active groups is called the
Northwest Ag  Business Center.  If we were to move forward with our project,
they'd be  the first people I called to guide our development and help chart the
course.  I would imagine that there is either a state-specific or regional
group like that up in your neck of the woods as well.  If you haven't
already contacted them, that might be a good ally to have.

Keep us posted on how your project proceeds; I'll be watching and I'm sure
a number of others will be too.
Kathryn Kerby, who is at least 24 months behind you on something like  this
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 11/15/2012 1:53:43 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,