[Market-farming] Potato furrows and eggplant (separately)

charlie taplin vthick43 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 10:26:26 EST 2012

Pam,
Like Kurt said hill the potaoes well, just leave leaves showing(75%) each
time you
hill, and as he said loosen up the soil between rows. We in our system can
run a small tractor
& rorotiller between rows. We plant 2 acs. with 7 different varities and a
new one this year
called Kovac grew some very large spuds and some were green, will do a
better job next
year. This farm at one time years ago grew 2000 bu. , My father-in-law (in
a wheelchair)
is my mentor.

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM, <clearviewfarm at bluefrog.com> wrote:

> Pam,
>
> If you can, use your discs to "hill" the potatoes as they grow.  You may
> want to cultivate first, to loosen the soil, then use the discs to throw
> dirt up around the base of the plants to allow them to set spuds in that
> soil.
>
> I had trouble with eggplant not setting fruit in the hot weather, too.  I
> have to wonder if more irrigation water would help.
>
> Kurt Forman
> Clearview Farm
> Palmyra, NY 14522
> Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a
> fruit salad.

Charlie at Floating Bridge Organics
"without power over our food,
any notion of democracy is empty"