[Market-farming] Potato furrows and eggplant (separately)

grizzdover at gmail.com grizzdover at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 01:50:35 EDT 2012

I harvest potatoes using a middle-buster and can dig down about a foot
below soil level with a 35 hp tractor.  I also now plant potatoes with a
Holland Rotary One transplanter (without making a furrow first).  I think a
middle buster would be a good investment as you could make a furrow to
plant in (and fill in furrow instead of hilling) plus use it to harvest
with.  One issue may be that if you make a deep planting furrow with the
middle buster, it may not be able to harvest any spuds that grow below the
depth of the initial furrow.

Both 'Traviata' and 'Black Beauty' produced well for me in the unusually
dry hot summer season here in Iowa this year.  Another great stand out was
'Clara' (large white eggplant), but the bugs were very found of this and
many had small holes around the entire fruit.  Not enough to make them
un-usable, but did not produce as many "marketable" ones because of the
blemishes.  I watered our eggplant like crazy this year but they still set
fruit later than "normal".  I believe eggplants are another one of those
plants (like tomatoes, green beans, etc.) that when they get too hot they
abort their flowers to stay alive.

Ben Saunders
Granger, Iowa
www.wabisabi-farm.com