[Market-farming] Potato furrows and eggplant (separately)

Carla Maness manessfarm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 21:52:05 EDT 2012

Pam,
We use a middle buster to plant our potatoes, and it works great. We use
the middle buster for the furrow, then we drop in the seed potato, and then
we cover with our hiller disk set up. We used to try and drop the seed
potato in by hand, but we plant nearly a thousand pounds of potatoes and it
took forever. We now hook our mechanical transplanter up and I sit and ride
while dropping the potatoes in the pre-made furrow. It's a little harder to
judge spacing this way, but I can get pretty close and it's so much faster
and easier.

Eggplant: We grow Nadia, Night Shadow, and Santana for large eggplant.
Production was down due to extreme heat and drought, but with this
combination we managed to have eggplant every week for market. When one
variety was lagging behind, one of the others was picking up the slack.
It's a combination that we grow every year with good results.

Carla
Perkins, OK