[Market-farming] Was Insect Pressure, now stinging insect removal

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Thu May 31 11:45:11 EDT 2012

Kathryn,
You may have already acted, but here's our experience:
Yellow jacket and wasp stingers penetrate certain bee suits (as can a
honeybee that is squished), but all these stingers are length-limited.
 I've dug out and destroyed multiple yellow jacket nests (the toasted grubs
are tasty), but only when I have multiple layers such as long sleeve cotton
dress shirt, thick cotton sweatshirt, perhaps another thick cotton
workshirt, then the beesuit.  Or coveralls then beesuit.  If your beesuit
too small, borrow a bigger one.   (Visualize the Michelin Man.) Trick is
multiple layers thicker than the stingers, and making sure ALL beesuit
entrances are sealed.  Yellow jackets have not stung me through this while
their nests are being destroyed, each layer of nest being cleaned off and
put in a bucket w/ lid.

At daybreak on the coolest morning possible, you should be able to suit up
early w/o heat stroke.  The insects are quit a bit slower when temps are
cool, though will get excited.

Open the vehicle doors, perhaps also the hood, then see where the insects
are going in and out on their normal pattern.  Or one can pay an
exterminator to open the doors and watch where the insects fly to and from.
 Normal flight patterns will occur fairly quickly; insects to their nest
(and money to exterminator).  If opening happens to disturb nest, insects
will show you where that is and take a bit longer to settle down.

One may pay someone to poison their truck cab, but then what protective
gear should be worn by whoever drives the truck at haying, and what if the
nest is on the other side of the cab, in the engine compartment thereby
insulated from the cab?

There are OMRI approved yellow jacket traps, which may help, but perhaps
not quick enough for haying time.

Agreed with another comment that a stream of hose water works well, and the
insects don't follow it back to the sprayer.

In summary, if one has the gumption and equipment to work with bees, one
can work with other stinging insects.  But during planting season, there
may be more money than time for certain unpleasant tasks, and hiring others
makes sense.

Richard Moyer
SW VA