[Market-farming] Insect Pressure

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Thu May 31 10:10:02 EDT 2012

On May 31, 2012, at 5:22 AM, Dalew Farms wrote:

> Flea beetles are much stronger than we've ever seen them. [ . . .]
> Any thoughts on the pros and cons of using rotonone dust?

I used to use rotenone for flea beetles, years ago. On my place it
provided good control temporarily, though the population would
sometimes rebound later. I do remember hearing about resistant
populations, however, so if it's commonly used in your area that might
be a concern.

It's also no longer acceptable for organic production; hasn't been
since the USDA standards took over, and I think wasn't allowed by some
certifiers before then. I think the concern was that the manufacturer
wouldn't disclose all the "inert" ingredients, but there was if I
recall correctly also some concern that toxicity levels to mammals
might have been underestimated. I'm also fairly sure it's toxic to
fish; and it is fairly broad spectrum to insects. When I did use it I
was careful to only use it on the crops I was having problems with, so
beneficials in other crops weren't damaged.