[Market-farming] Insect Pressure

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Wed May 30 12:34:17 EDT 2012

Sort of a similar situation here that I just learned about yesterday.
We're getting ready for hay season, and the big cab-over-engine flatbed we use
to move hay bales is now very much inhabited by either wasps or hornets.  I
 don't want to go the "wasp bomb" way, but we can't get close enough to
tell even  where the nest is.  Might be way up in the engine compartment, or
they  might be flying through a vent to/from the cab itself.   Unfortunately,
the windows are rolled up and we can't get the doors open  without getting
stung to even see if they found some entrance/exit into the  cab.  I'm not
sure how to proceed with clearing this vehicle other than the  so-called bomb.
 Any ideas?  If they were honeybees, I'd be delighted  to have another hive
and I could vacuum them while wearing my bee suit in  perfect safety.  But
hornet and yellowjacket stingers go right through  those suits.  I'm not
looking forward to this particular farm  project.  Not at all.  Time for an
exterminator?
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/welog.html

In a message dated 5/30/2012 7:54:33 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,