[Market-farming] Insect Pressure

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Wed May 30 11:57:10 EDT 2012

Apparently some yellowjackets are very aggressive and others aren't.
The ones here don't sting unless disturbed, so long as you don't
squash any.

I've read that wasps in general (I don't know how many species) may
respond to the scent of squashed wasps with aggression.

We generally also treat wasps as beneficials unless the nest is
located where we couldn't help disturbing it. If such a location is
somewhere that can be gotten wet, I deal with it by knocking the nest
down with a strong spray from a hose. They don't seem to connect the
person behind the hose with the water hitting the nest, and most of
the wasps will also wind up too wet to fly in any case. Repeat
treatments may be necessary, as they'll often try to rebuild in the
same spot; but they'll give up eventually. (A little WD40 on the spot
they're trying to rebuild on can prevent the rebuilding problem, if
it's somewhere you could reasonably use WD40. Other oils might work; I
should try a vegetable oil to find out.)