[Market-farming] Tomato disaster!

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Tue May 22 22:03:41 EDT 2012

This is a total shot in the dark, and an extrapolation of what worked for
one fungal problem into what might work in another.  So, proceed with
caution, but here goes: A tomato grower here (not me) was looking at a really
bad case of early blight a few years ago - she'd already lost a lot of plants
(I  think about half) and she was afraid she'd lose the whole planting.
Instead of thinking in terms of killing the evil bad fungus already there, she
 went the other direction and deliberately introduced massive amounts of
good  healthy fungus and associated beneficial bacteria, via compost tea as a
foliar  spray.  She said she was able to save most of the remaining plants
and  salvaged something of the tomato harvest, rather than watching the whole
thing  burn down.

While early blight is a leaf issue, rather than a base/stem issue, the
basic principle would seem to be the same - flood the area with the good guys
and the bad guys won't be able to compete.  Or at least it'll slow 'em
down.  I found myself reading through your dilemma and wondered if that  might
be a worthwhile option.  If you choose that option I'd love to hear  how it
works out.  Actually, please let us know what option(s) you choose  and how
it/they worked.  I'm sure one or more of us will eventually face  something
similar in the future.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html