[Market-farming] restaurant update

Carla Maness manessfarm at gmail.com
Tue May 22 10:49:57 EDT 2012

Earlier in the season I requested information as to pricing and dealing
with restaurants the information was very helpful to us so I thought I'd
post an update on our progress.
We decided to charge retail price.  The restaurant that was wanting to deal
with us said our prices were too high. Then... several weeks later they
decide they can use our produce on a limited basis, for instance when they
host special events. So far, it's working out great. They don't buy a lot,
and honestly we could sell what they've been buying at market. But, we are
developing a relationship with the executive chef, and that's important.
We had another restaurant approach us during this same time frame wanting
asparagus, paid our asking price, no questions asked. and in a year of
surplus asparagus that has been awesome!

I'm in the planning process for fall crops and I sent an email to both
chefs stating what we would be growing and asking if they would be
interested in any of those crops. I want to make sure I plant enough for
our markets and the restaurants, but neither chef will really commit to
anything. Is that normal?  Do they not think that far ahead?

How do you plan?  We've always done one market day a week, and this year we
are doing 3, plus the restaurants. I want to make sure I have enough
produce to get us through until it freezes, but I'm clueless as to how much
more.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Carla
Maness Farm