[Market-farming] tips for rapid strawberry planting?

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Mon May 21 18:40:31 EDT 2012

Thanks for the advice on strawberry planting. This was not the bear I feared. I did make the soil nice and fluffy, which was the key. I layed out a 100' plastic surveyor's tape to get the spacing accurate. I sat on my transplanting stool, and used a great triangular garden trowel to make a slit 5" deep. The plants went in zip zip zip. About 15-20 seconds a piece, including layout time.

The stool, which I recommend, is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Rocker-with-FREE-GIFTS/dp/B001AY4WD6

The rocking motion allows you to reach further without as much strain as sitting on a milk crate.

The trowel is not this one, but is a similar idea:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-5506-right-angle-trowel.aspx

  Richard Robinson
  www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
  Hopestill Farm