[Market-farming] WiFi recommendations?

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sun May 20 21:03:01 EDT 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 05:28:45PM -0400, Beth Spaugh wrote:
> Anyone have a WiFi router to recommend that has god outdoor range?  I am trying
> to use a phone to keep track of things this year.  Tempted to just dig out my
> old HP IPaq since the good apps on both the iPhone and the Droid need data
> access.  Am keeping cell phone costs minimal (prepaid) since we don?t have good
> voice coverage, but am going to have to bite the bullet and buy a WiFi router.
> Max range needed is 200 feet south, 1000 feet east through a few trees and
> downhill, Can put in a 2^nd floor southeast room in front of window.

There is a wide variety of pretty cheap hardware available to extend
wifi.  If you have power at both ends, you can do a rock solid setup
for around $200.  If not, you will most likely need at least a
directional antenna on your internet end.  Something like this can
work in both situations:
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=25468

For consumer quality stuff, I recommend products that will run
DDWRT/Tomato.  Search for "ddwrt" on eBay.  Typical routers go as low
as about $20.  Though they are called "routers", you are interested in
the access point, bridge, and repeater functions.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  61 days 14 hours 17 minutes