[Market-farming] Flower Bouquet now hourly employees

Andy Fellenz artisanfarms at gmail.com
Sun May 20 20:01:20 EDT 2012

I use hand written timesheets turned in weekly for start time, stop time
and length of lunch.  Most people will cheat it a little bit taking a few
extra minutes for lunch, start a few minutes later than shown on the sheet
or stop a few minutes earlier than shown. For me, its not worth getting
excited about a few minutes a day or installing a time clock to get a more
accurate measure.  I also have my employees give me ball park estimates of
how much time they have spent on different tasks.  I track the task times
in QuickBooks and can use this information to understand where my labor
dollars are actually going - how much to the greenhouse, high tunnels,
orchard, cultivating in the field, etc...  This is helpful in determining
which parts of the farm or tasks on the farm are total timesucks and either
need a better process or better pricing to justify the additional labor.

Andy