[Market-farming] Harlequin Bugs

Pam Twin Oaks pam at twinoaks.org
Fri May 18 19:59:55 EDT 2012

Harlequin bugs - aren't they awful? We usually handpick and squash. Jeff
McCormack told me that cleome are a good trap crop. The bugs cluster in the
tall flower heads. Walk along with a bucket of soapy water, bend the flower
heads over the bucket and knock the bugs into the water. I plan to try it
this year (the cleome are tiny seedlings at this point.)

An interesting thing here (central Virginia, zone 7) this spring si that
the harlequins got going in the extra-warm March weather, then we got the
extra-cold April. Since then, not so many harlequins!

Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA