[Market-farming] Harlequin bugs, revisited

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Thu May 17 21:18:59 EDT 2012

Steve

Not too sure it will help, but we found over the last two years an amazingly large number of the insects in our horseradish.  We are up to about a 100 pounds of harvest so you can imagine quite a bit of leaf density.  The thing is, they did zero damage to the root harvest even though 1/3 of all leaves were heavily damaged.  They were not found in adjacent beds.   I am wondering if you could use it as a trap crop.

This year we companion planting horseradish in 30' beds with sweet potatoes in side-by-side rows with another bunch of sweet potato rows by themselves as a control of sorts.  It'll be interesting to see there is a similar density of insects in these rows as well.

Anyone else have similar experience?

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio