[Market-farming] strawberry roots when planting? straight or not

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Thu May 17 08:51:44 EDT 2012

I've always wondered as well. Here's a study suggesting it doesn't matter:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs232

"...Treatments consisted of transplants set in the conventional planting with roots in a “J” root shape, and transplants set in holes that were enlarged using a small hand spade to accommodate the entire length of the transplant's root system in a vertical orientation (straight rooted)...No significant differences were detected for marketable yield or any other variable during any period..."

which is good, because of the thousand plants I put in yesterday, I'd guess only half were completely straight down.

  Richard Robinson
  www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
  Hopestill Farm
  www.hopestill.com