[Market-farming] sorta OT - update on our organic certification process (...

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sun May 13 15:40:01 EDT 2012

On May 13, 2012, at 12:54 PM, KAKerby at aol.com wrote:

>  I was shocked at the level of ignorance on what the program was all
> about, particularly amongst folks who freely used the word "organic"
> in their marketing (without being certified).

That is indeed a problem.

There are people who fully understand "organic" but who are not
certified, either because their markets don't require formal
certification and they don't want to pay the fees when there's no
benefit to their particular farm, or because they have philosophical
problems with the USDA and may themselves actually be following
stricter standards.

But there are also a lot of people who have no idea either what the
standards are, or why they are the standards; and while some of these
people are opposed to organic without understanding it, some of them
claim to actually be organic without understanding it. I have run into
such people who had never read any modern standards; and who, when I
offered them a recent copy of mine, weren't interested in reading them.