[Market-farming] sorta OT - update on our organic certification process (long)

Etienne Goyer etienne at lejardinduvillage.ca
Sun May 13 08:09:21 EDT 2012

The market perspective is interesting.  I am not yet certified; looking
forward to that in 2013.  This spring, I have a quackgrass infestation
to deal with (improper soil prep last year - not gonna do that mistake
twice!).  My brother think I am silly for not spraying RoundUp.  I agree
that of all the herbicide, glyphosate is probably the lesser evil,
that's not the problem.  But he just does not get it: what sells my
veggies, and allows me to get a good price, is that they are grown
organically.  At the market, I think it must be, like, one customer out
of two who casually ask "are you organic?"  Right now, I say "I am not
certified organic, but I grow without chemical fertilizer and synthetic
pesticide", which so far has satisfied everyone.  If I spray RoundUp
this spring, I cannot honestly say that anymore.

Nothing is perfect.  I would rather deal with a quackgrass infestation
organically than having to explain why I am
organic-but-not-quite-because-I-sprayed-once-this-spring a dozen time at
every market.  Plus, for good or bad, I am a principled person: spraying
would be a personal failure of holding up to my values.

Kathryn, nice write-up you have there.  You should post it to your blog!  :)

Etienne Goyer  -  Le Jardin du Village
http://lejardinduvillage.wordpress.com