[Market-farming] Tomato stems rotting below soil line

Marlin & Christine Burkholder burkholders at glenecofarm.com
Thu May 10 10:12:00 EDT 2012

What would cause the stem on a tomato transplant put into the ground two
weeks ago to suddenly rot off about an inch below the soil line?  Looks like
some sort of bacterial rot similar to what I experienced once years ago when
I transplanted tomatoes into recently plowed down clover cover crop.  That
time I figured that bacterial decomposition of the plowed under clover also
attacked the roots of the tomatoes.  The ground where I am having the
problem this year was plowed and prepped last fall and the rows mulched with
plastic.