[Market-farming] stinky backpack sprayer

Deb Taft deb at mobiusfields.com
Tue May 8 16:25:40 EDT 2012

Hi All.

Please indulge me if this is a stupid question!

Last spring I bought a used backpack sprayer because it was ridiculously
cheap and it seems to work fine.  The problem I'm having is that it reeked
of chemicals when I got it and, after more than a year, it still does.
 I've run a couple of mild soap solutions through it, a vinegar solution,
left it out in the sun for a few days and left it un-capped for all these
months.  It still smells chemical-y.

I have no idea what chemicals were used in it - pesticides? herbicides?  I
was told that it was used for landscape purposes.

Should I be concerned about the lingering odor or will any potentially
damaging residue be long gone?  I'm not certified but I really don't want
to be spraying anything that would compromise an organically managed
field...or kill my crops.

Thanks for your help!

Deb
Mobius Fields