[Market-farming] Milar and Birds

Shoemaker, William H wshoemak at illinois.edu
Sat May 5 21:36:22 EDT 2012

I don't work with cherries much, but I work with grapes a lot. Bob's right. The mylar won't be enough. In my experience, you need multiple tactics in your strategy. Robins love grapes so we use nets on our 2 acres of grapes. But they will find there way through if that is all you do. We also use a Bird-Grad alarm system. It uses digital tech to create the sound of specific species of birds in distress, including Robins. The strategy then employs a physical barrier and a tool to instill deep-seated fear. The birds, including Robins, become tentative because of the alarm. Their attempts to overcome the fear by diving at the nets to get the grapes (gotta get the grapes, gotta...) are defeated by the net barrier. The mylar might be useful to reinforce the fear, but you will probably need more. I find that each site has a unique situation, but that using multiple layers in your strategy is necessary almost everywhere with birds and fruit.

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

University of Illinois, Crop Sciences

St Charles Horticulture Research Center