[Market-farming] Holding Down Row Cover

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sat May 5 09:23:09 EDT 2012

I use repins, two on each side of each hoop, and find that this works
in most wind. Occasionally a really strong wind will pull up covers
and it's necessary to run out and replace pins and/or add rocks or
other weight. The advantages of the repins are multiple: they allow
for easy removal and replacement of the row cover; and I can carry
enough for several hundred feet of row cover easily, in one hand, in a
five gallon bucket, which means I don't have large quantities of heavy
bulky stuff to haul into and around the field when placing the row
cover, or to haul back out of the field when I'm done with it and need
to mow or disc.

Part of the trick is to make sure the soil is firm (step on loose soil
to tamp it down before setting pins) and put the two pins at each
point in at different angles. -- It occurs to me that they may not
work as well in sandy soil as they do in mine, which has a fair amount
of clay.

If you have a lot of really strong wind, there are actually heavy
plastic bags sold for the purpose; they're UV treated and last for
years. You fill each one with as much soil as you think necessary (or
as much as you want to pick up over and over). I suppose you could
empty them when removing from field and refill each time but filling
them is a nuisance so we don't. They won't tear the plastic and make
it relatively easy to remove and replace; but it takes a significant
bulk of them (once full) to weight down a few rows of row cover and
they're a lot harder to schlep around than the repins. I think that
would also apply to rebar and bricks, though; and the smooth plastic
doesn't rip the covers.