[Market-farming] Pricing

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Fri May 4 15:28:09 EDT 2012

On May 4, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Richard Moyer wrote:

> We have a volunteer at our market that records prices on a variety
> of produce at market, then sends it into our Virginia Dept of Ag and
> Consumer Services.  They organize all the material and post it
> weekly; we can then see the statewide range of prices on many items
> we sell.
> http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/marketnews/farmersmarkets.shtml

Thanks very much! I've bookmarked it and added it to my list of price
sources.

When unit isn't specified, is the price per pound? In a few cases they
said pint or bunch, but a lot of prices didn't say per what amount. --
I wonder if wildly different head sizes could explain the huge range
on cabbage on one week that I checked at random, if the price is per
head; or if one price could be per head and another per pound and that
would explain it.

New Farm used to do such a list at markets in a number of different
areas and post it online, but I think they ran out of volunteers to
manage it, and dropped it some years ago.

On May 4, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Richard Moyer wrote:

>  I've on occasion let a fellow vendor know that we charge more,
> still sell all we bring, and leave it at that.  Would that be
> considered illegal in certain jurisdictions?

I think it must be legal to simply tell other people what you are
doing. If they wanted, after all, they could walk over to your stall
and look at your prices. They could even come back near the end of
market and see how much you had left.

I don't think the illegal part is providing information. I think
what's illegal is getting together and agreeing "OK, everybody is
going to charge at least X." I often check other vendors' prices and
sometimes even call and ask them before market (we have very
cooperative markets, at some markets from what I've heard nobody would
tell you); but it's only one of several things I take into
consideration when setting prices and I may wind up with a price
either below or above what they tell me/what I see theirs priced at
(usually above, since mine's certified organic; but occasionally
below, if theirs are bigger bunches or nicer looking or if I think
they have the particular item way overpriced based on other criteria.)