[Market-farming] other food marketing methods - pricing

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Fri May 4 10:58:19 EDT 2012

It may be state by state -- legal in some states and not others. Or it
may depend on exactly how it's phrased. Or it may be illegal in
general, but sometimes done anyway, the enforcement people being
assumed to be busy dealing with (or busy not dealing with) bigger game
than farmers' markets. I've heard all three explanations and am not
sure which is correct.

I have never sold at a market that enforced minimum prices. I've
certainly heard official advice that it's illegal, though I can't
remember for sure but it may have come from NYState advisors so I
suppose might be a state by state issue; and sometimes talking to
multiple state representatives will get you different answers, and I'm
not sure if this is one of those issues. I have sold at markets using
statements such as "price should be fair to the customers and to other
vendors", which I expect is legal but may be in practice
unenforceable, but does give the manager something to use to go along
with education efforts.

Education strikes me as making better sense than a flat floor in any
case. It's really hard to determine actual cost of production for any
one item from any one farm, let alone for all the items from all the
farms at the market, in order to tell where a flat floor would belong.

Pricing can certainly be a major issue, especially with new growers or
"hobby" growers, who may not value their own time, labor of their
family members, proportions of their land taxes, etc. and/or may have
no idea of common prices in the area. There's also sometimes the
occasional long-term grower (often with other income) who first set
their prices ten or twenty years ago and hasn't raised them since to
account for general inflation.