[Market-farming] Advertising CSA

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Thu May 3 16:35:19 EDT 2012

I know there's a lot of overlap between members of this market-farming
group and the CSAFarmers group, but I wanted to put the word out to both groups
 just in case there were folks who weren't on both lists.  I'm working  on
polishing up the "how to define a CSA" language that we got started  a few
weeks ago on the CSAFarmers list.  I hope to have it ready to send to  the
group this afternoon.  That language, though not finalized or  perfect, might
be something useful when folks are trying to spread the word  about what
they do, how they do it and why folks would want to  participate.

I'm also working on the language for how CSAs differ from food hubs,
farmers markets, and other distribution models.  I may or may not be  finished
with all those other definitions this afternoon.  But I'm working  on it.  If
not today, it'll be tomorrow or Saturday.  It's taken way  more time and
effort than expected to compile all the comments made on this  topic over the
last few weeks.  But I think (hope) it'll be helpful as  folks try to figure
out how best to spread the word.  I also hope that our  discussions will
continue for how to put the best polish on the language for  each term.  But
I'll at least have something to start with, which was  compiled from what
everyone has already sent along the way.  More to come  in the next few
hours.......

PS - some of you will recall that I sent out a quickie note about a  week
ago about being smacked in the face by my horse.  Turns out I had a  mild
concussion.  Went to have it checked out after five days of symptoms  like
dizziness, headaches and drowsiness.  Thankfully, no hidden time bombs  to worry
about.  Just a request from the ER doctor that I take it easy and  let
things heal without pushing so hard.  I think farmers are more  prone to just
"tough out" various injuries and keep working.  In my case,  trying to keep up
the pace was only slowing down my recovery.  If anyone on  either list ever
gets a good knock to the brainpan, please go have it checked,  and give
yourself permission to slow down at least a little.  I'm glad I  did.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html

In a message dated 5/3/2012 1:24:04 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,