[Market-farming] Renting a "Turn-Key" Farm Operation

grizzdover at gmail.com grizzdover at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 19:18:55 EDT 2012

Hello All,

Sorry if this is off topic, but I couldn't think of a better resource!  I'd
be happy to talk with anyone off list if this isn't the right place for
discussion.  I have been working/managing a farm for 7 years or so.  At the
begining of this year the owner decided this was her last season of being
"actively" involved (owning a business on the land) and has graciously
allowed me to rent everything on the land (land, perennial crops,
buildings, equipment, etc.) to begin my own farming enterprise.  Neither of
us have any direct experience involving this type of relationship
(owner/renter) nor do we know of anywhere to find resources regarding how
to establish a fair rent price.  The thing we are having the most problem
with is how to estabilsh a fair "rental value" for ground that has
perennial crops (i.e. two 1/3 acre plots of asparagus, raspberry and
strawberry plantings, etc.).  All the other questions we have involve
things like who pays for equipment breakdowns (i.e. tractor, BCS, deep well
for irrigation, buildings, etc.).  Any direct experience with this sort of
arrangement or sources where to find info would be greatly appreciated.  We
have a great friendship/mentorship now and both of us place a great
emphasis on continuing it (while having an owner/renter arrrangement : )!!!

Thanks in advance,

Ben Saunders
Farm Manager
Turtle Farm: Certified Organic Fruits, Veggies and Herbs
Granger, Iowa
www.turtle-farm.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Turtle-Farm/200544863386129?ref=hl