[Market-farming] Revisiting Raspberry problem

Marlin & Christine Burkholder burkholders at glenecofarm.com
Sun Jul 15 19:08:30 EDT 2012

Last raspberry season, Marlin and I wrote about our massive occurrence of
mushy Heritage raspberries on the bottoms.  The berries looked nice on the
plant,  when those berries were picked, one could see a liquid inside the
bottom of the berry. As the berry ripened, the whole berry got mushy.  Upon
microscopic inspection, we could see many white maggots in one berry.  After
my picking bucket with seconds of berries set, these little white maggots
would crawl out of the raspberries.

Extension folks and others say it is the result of the spotted wing
drosophila.  I do not see a correlation with the maggots of the drosophila
and what we had.  I have not read any information about what causes the
liquid inside the raspberry from which the maggots hatched.  Just a few of
our purple raspberries (this season) had that liquid inside the berry.  We
don't have many purple raspberries and they are adjacent to our Hull
blackberries.  I read how the red berry mite can keep blackberries red on
part of the berry, which I may have seen on some of our blackberries.  We
have lots of sap beetles on our overripe blackberries.

I have read that there is a raspberry beetle which "lays eggs in the
flowers", but the hatching or maggots do not seem characteristic of what we
saw.

Meredith (who picks and works with us) suggested that it would be helpful if
we could take one of those berries and see what hatches out of them.  Does
anyone know the best way to do that?

One person from the list responded last year with a similar problem.  Can
anyone help in this detective work? Marlin is threatening to spray for the
drosophila, and we have never sprayed chemicals on our raspberries in prior
years.

Christine Burkholder