[Market-farming] Surviving the June 29 Derecho

Marlin Burkholder burkholders at glenecofarm.com
Sat Jul 14 23:30:29 EDT 2012

I have been a bit surprised that so little was said on this list about how
some of us fared in the devastating wind storm which swept the mid west and
mid Atlantic states from Chicago to Washington DC.  We had a real mess of
broken tree limbs around the house and some trees down across line fences
and into hay fields but nothing serious such as trees on vehicles or roofs
off buildings.  Our two 150¹ tomato high tunnels survived the hurricane
force winds but just barely.  The beefed up ground rods and additional wind
rope held the structures in place but the series 40 one inch PVC bows flexed
so much that the plastic covering was punched full of holes by hitting
tomato stakes.  About 10 feet of plastic pulled loose on all of the ends.  I
have been approved by NRCS for a cost share on a ³Rolling Thunder² moveable
high tunnel, but I shudder to think what would have happened had I had it up
in this storm.  I priced it with ground anchors estimated for protection in
hurricane force winds and that called for a ground anchor on about every
bow.  I thought that sounded excessive but after going through this storm
I¹m thinking that if I am going to follow through with this project I had
better follow the recommendations.  I would be interested in how some of you
with high tunnels fared in this storm, especially those who have ³Rolling
Thunders².  If possible I would like to visit someone who has put one up for
the purpose of seeing it and perhaps picking some brains if that is
acceptable.  We make periodic trips to Maryland to see a Lyme doctor and
could go into eastern PA for such a visit.

With me struggling with chronic Lyme disease and my wife wanting time off
during the winter, she is trying to discourage from going through with this
project so it is still a little up in the air.  That is why I am concerned
about putting the thing up and watching it go up in the air.

Marlin Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley
Virginia