[Market-farming] Deer Control (was: NITEGuard pest Control lights)

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Sat Jul 14 16:23:13 EDT 2012

10'  t-posts.  Run every 20'.  We use a medium 14ga electric fence wire at 8', 5', and 30" approximately (nothing is flat around us so we sort of just count studs on the posts).   The forest edge is on an uphill slope and the deer loathe to jump it I think because of the change in elevation.  We also have started running mints, spicebush and dense thickets of dead honey suckle in diagonal patterns between their movement patterns (which become fairly standard and set) and the food plots.

We have three "gates" in the fence that are simply wires from the off charger side that disconnect using the spring handles.  Foil and peanut butter as per this:

http://www.wvdnr.gov/Hunting/DeerConHomGar.shtm

Our hunters took 32 deer total last year (we are in a mixed urban rural area so the limits in our region are the highest in Ohio I think, could be wrong about that).  Not even a dent in the population though, BUT it means there aren't

We don't have any issues with smaller animals.  We have a lot of cats that hang out in our stables that manage the rabbit population (as do the Red Tails).  We have issues with Raccoons, mainly because folks trap them and then release them "in the country", which is ignorant and illegal and put hteir problem on us.   They are more of a grain and horse problem and the prevention of EPM.  We have good ways of dealing with them as well.

Richard