[Market-farming] Deer Control (was: NITEGuard pest Control lights)

Barking Cat Farm barkingcatfarm at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 14 15:44:10 EDT 2012

On Jul 14, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Richard Stewart <rstewart at zoomtown.com> wrote:

> That said we've put up a fence.  Its a one acre fence and about as cheap as you can get using three strands up to 8' high with foil hologram ties on it and peanut butter/foil strips.  Fence posts are cheap metal T-posts which should last you a decade or two if treated properly.  They are easy to put in and we do huge spacing with 1 post every 20'.

Richard,
Can you please describe how you're getting to 8' with t-posts? And at what heights are you putting your three strands on the 8' posts? Maybe it's in your original complete post here, but I'm not quite seeing it. Or it could be that I've been in the heat too long.

We've got two layers 4' tall 3' apart with 3/8" fiberglass posts at 20' spacing and t-posts corners and gate posts, powered by a 12kv 25 mile solar charger. 4 strands 1' apart starting at 1' off the ground, 3 strands at 4", 8", and 16" on the outer layer for all the smaller animals (but armadillos, doesn't work on them). We keep it baited with cheap deer bait (peanut butter works of course too) year round. 5' landscape fabric around the perimeter for weed suppression.

It's effective (so far), but as you can probably surmise, it's not really easy to
put up or take down. We'd really like to go to a single layer design >= 8' tall for future expansion if we can find a good design. Yours sounds like it might be a bit easier for us if I can understand the details of what you're describing. You don't have to draw me a picture, but it helps. :-)

Thank you in advance,
Laurie
Barking Cat Farm
Zone 8 NE TX where it's really hot with a chance of very hot with no rain for the forseeable future