[Market-farming] Bush Beans on Black Plastic Mulch

Shoemaker, William H wshoemak at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 12 12:39:33 EDT 2012

Allan

Think of the 3/hole as a hill planting system. They really won't compete any more than 1/3" because they each have a similar resource base. They'll find a way to share space and produce a similar crop, but you will find it easier to plant. I was involved in looking at such systems for various crops years ago, and we found the yeilds tend to be similar. The impact is how each system affects management. In your case, you might find it easier to make a hole every 12". It will probably be safer for the plastic mulch as well.

You might consider planting most of your beans one way, then have a short row the other way just to compare.

Bill
William H. Shoemaker
University of Illinois, Crop Sciences
St Charles Horticulture Research Center