[Market-farming] cultivation/transplanting systems

Andy Fellenz artisanfarms at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 09:35:04 EDT 2012

Hi,

I use a Japanese paperpot transplanter for all of my alliums, beets,
turnips and any greens which can be planted at either a 2, 4 or 6"
spacing.  The plants are set in 4 row beds with 10-12" between the rows.
The paperpot transplanter has been a gamechanger in terms of reducing
growing costs and improving yields per bed foot for these crops.

For larger plants or plants needing a greater spacing I use a Holland
Rotary One transplanter mounted on a home grown hydraulically offsetable
3pt. hitch that we can use to plant 1, 2 or 3 row beds with while keeping
the tractor in the same set of tire tracks.  The Rotary one with its
offsetable hitch requires a tractor with a Cat 2 3 pt.

I have also used a Mehanical Transplanter finger style transplanter for
setting strawberries, cabbage, tomatoes and several other crops and it has
worked OK, but demands a little bit more attention and skill on the part of
the operator than the Rotary One.  This transplanter was completely rebuilt
in 2010 and is now for sale (and I'm not that far from you - I am in Phelps
between Rochester and Syracuse.).

I can't comment specifically on the Farmall 140, but I have a Kubota L245H
which is about the same size which we use for spraying and some
cultivating, but for most of the vegetable beds on tight spacings we end up
using Planet Jrs. and hoes.  We also have a compact Kubota for work in the
high tunnels and tilling and two larger tractors which are used with the
Rotary One, for primary tillage and hilling our potatoes.

Andy Fellenz
www.FellenzFamilyFarm.com
585 260 2477