[Market-farming] Frost on the Fourth!

charlie taplin vthick43 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 07:19:33 EDT 2012

Hi,
Are you near Victor,ID my son & wife, two grandson live there. We had 1.5"
rain, 1/4" hail, 60 mph, all in 15 mins. on the 4th. Didn't hurt the acre
of potatoes, hurt some newly transplanted
melons, other garden 1.5 acres damaged some of our 350 tomato plants (we
ripen in the field)
that garden is on a slope so it washed pretty good. I retired from my ag
business to go from a
small roadside stand to a much larger operation, even hire help besides my
wife and me, I am
70 yrs.old. so I spend more time "riding my butt". Started out cold and wet
lost many cucumber
plants, then the cucumber beetle (which I think I have defeated) used a
combination Pyganic
5.0 and Surround, learned some tricks in the process.  I consider this 10
mile sq. area zone 3.5.
Hope you warm up.  The hail we had covered the ground like ice, didn't stay
long.

Zone 3.5, 2000ft,  central VT, 132 acres, 4 in veggies, 65 in hay, 30
pasture, remained
forest. 231 yr. old farm, only owned by two families. certified organic

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Vern and Amy <vaspencer at sisna.com> wrote:

> Not complaining--everything that needed it was covered.  Took pics of
> ice on a puddle (in suspended plastic, not on the ground).
>
> Vern--still waiting for summer.
> Cocolalla, Idaho--must be Indian for Cold, Cold Water!
> address and password):

Charlie at Floating Bridge Organics
"without power over our food,
any notion of democracy is empty"