[Market-farming] changes due to new USDA zoning map

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Tue Jan 31 21:04:07 EST 2012

Actually I have found the climate maps useless but for slightly different
reasons.  At least the old maps were based largely on last/first frost
dates.  Given our proximity to the Pacific, our frost dates are skewed to  be
the same as locations very much further south in the continental USA.   But
our heat units and summertime high temp averages are nothing like those
climates with which we share our zoning classification.  That's part of why  I
don't particularly care for the maps.  I wasn't sure if perhaps that had
changed with this new mapping effort.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html

In a message dated 1/31/2012 5:56:41 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,