[Market-farming] carrots

Shoemaker, William H wshoemak at illinois.edu
Thu Jan 26 11:09:21 EST 2012

I always address these things first by remembering that these are living organisms. They have limited abilities but they can respond to their environments. Carrot roots are pretty dormant at 35 degF but they may be searching for moisture. The surface cells of the root may be getting a little too dry. They may be producing hair roots to find a source of moisture. That might explain why MAsteveINE's carrots aren't. They have moisture in the sand meeting the roots' requirements.

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

University of Illinois, Crop Sciences

St Charles Horticulture Research Center