[Market-farming] Crop planning software

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Tue Jan 24 14:03:51 EST 2012

I abandoned several software planning products earlier in the year as not
being what I wanted - I could get livestock software but it didn't make
provisions for the field work, and crops software which didn't make provisions
for the livestock.  In the category of Extreme Geekdom, I set out to learn
how to combine some existing homemade Excel spreadsheets from each
category, and  build more advanced formulas myself to compile that planning
information on one page.  Cue up the music from "Mission:  Impossible".

I now have something of a master calendar in Excel, which pulls information
 from other worksheets in the same master file (crops calendar, livestock
calendar, equipment calendar, soils calendar, etc).  It's not finished yet,
and it's specific to our operation.  But I think enough has been done that
folks who need a template could use it to set up or at least guide their
own.  I'd be willing to email to folks simply so they could see how  those
formulas work.  As long as folks don't make fun of my various  projects, or
the lame layout map I tried to create.  I'm actually fairly  proud of the
formulas going from one spreadsheet and feeding into another.   And I finally
have one master calendar which covers everything.  My husband  refers to it as
The One Calendar, sorta like The One Ring from "Lord of the  Rings": "The
One Calendar to rule them, and in the planning guide  them....."  Dorky, but
y'all get the idea.

So if anyone wants to see it, just lemme know......
Kathryn Kerby,  sometimes a better programmer than farmer
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html