[Market-farming] interesting new OP corn breeding project

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Wed Jan 18 21:24:55 EST 2012

I'm sending this to multiple lists because I know a whole lot of folks will
 be interested.  The most recent issue of Small Farmer's Journal has a
short  article on page 27, titled "The Road To Better Corn is "Open".  It
describes a relatively new project by some farmers and plant breeders, to
refocus on breeding specific OP corn lines for higher yields, better disease
resistance, etc, particularly dent corn.  The project is called The  Seedtime
Co-Operative.  The short article describes how hybrid corn really  has stolen
the spotlight for most plant breeding efforts over the last 70 years  (!).
But so much more is known now about corn genetics, that OP strains  with
strong production characteristics are definitely within reach.  What  the
project needs right now is farmer participation, particularly those farmers  who
already have OP lines of corn that produce well under each  farmer's
localized conditions.  Those lines will be tested and their  genotypes used as
starting points for future breeding work.

The group currently has members in Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky, but
they are looking for more participation.

I searched for a website for these folks but couldn't find one.   However,
a free monthly paper newsletter is available by request.  To  request the
newsletter and/or for more information, write to:
Luke Eby
170 Blue Heron Drive
Delano, TN 37325-7723

Here's hoping perhaps the tide can yet be turned on GMO corn.  I  found
myself cautiously optimistic after reading the article......
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html