[Market-farming] Forage Radish harboring brassica diseases? (was Forage radishes)

grizzdover at gmail.com grizzdover at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 00:45:32 EST 2012

Hello All,

I have been very interested in using tillage radish to break up the hard
pan.  Two seasons ago I had black rot "appear" in one field and this last
season I had a different field that had cecropia leaf spot severly in my
beets.  I know cecropia can be carried by many common "weeds" I've got
(i.e. lambs quarters), but I'm wondering about tillage radish.  I would
really like to use the tillage radish for my hard pan, but am willing to
skip the radish if it may add to my disease "pressure".  Am I just being
paranoid (lost all my fall brassicas due to black rot that one year) or are
my fears "reasonable" : ) ?

Ben Saunders
Turtle Farm
Granger, Iowa