[Market-farming] Tomato Spacing

Don Lareau dlareau at tds.net
Tue Jan 10 09:17:14 EST 2012

We have always done tomatoes with two rows in a 40" bed staggered.  In
part because of how our irrigation is set up, and in part to try and
maximize our field.  It seems like if we do only one row of tomatoes in
a bed that we might actually get more yield.  Certainly the harvesting
and trellising would be easier.  Does anyone have an opinion on this or
experience of yields and spacing of tomatoes.  We mostly grow
indeterminates, romas, and cherries, and use a hybrid florida weave type
trellising.

Then I have the same question but for a hightunnel where we really are
trying to maximize space.  IS it any different in a tunnel?

Thanks,
Don

Don Lareau
Zephyros Farm and Garden