[Market-farming] vermicompost

Andy Fellenz artisanfarms at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 17:48:13 EST 2012

I'm located in Central NY, about halfway between Rochester and Syracuse.
I've met a few people in my area who are working with worms on a commercial
scale, selling both the worms and vermicompost and would like to learn a
little bit more from other people's experiences.

One thought I had was to build some worm boxes into one of my greenhouses.
My first greenhouse was built over 6 4'X6' compost bins and I could
probably convert some of these bins into worm boxes.  I'm already heating
the house from February until late spring and would just need to add some
heat to the boxes to keep them active from late October thru January.  I
also have vegetable waste from my cull pile and high tunnels that I could
feed to the worms year round.  What would be neat is to find some
information on box design for capturing leachate and also allowing for
relatively easy harvest of the compost and castings.  I've read the ATTRA
articles and some other information on the web and would be very interested
in seeing pictures and learning more from people who are doing it on a
small farm scale rather than either a home sized worm box or a large
commercial facility which is bringing in food and other waste by the truck
load.

Andy