[Market-farming] Sweet Corn Transplanting

Pam Twin Oaks pam at twinoaks.org
Tue Jan 3 14:45:05 EST 2012

It is quite possible to transplant sweet corn, so those in marginal
climates don’t need to give up hope. We usually prepare some plugs the same
day we sow our first corn outdoors and use these to fill gaps at the first
cultivation. We use 200-cell styrofoam Speedling flats, (1”, 2.5cm cells).
For ease of care, we float these in a tank of water until we set them out.
Some vegetable seedlings would drown if continuously in water, but corn
does not. I believe it is important to transplant the corn before the plant
gets too big, and the taproot takes off. 2-3”(5-7.5cm) plants seem OK. The
plugs transplant easily using butter knives.

Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA. zone 7