[Market-farming] sweet corn?

clearviewfarm at bluefrog.com clearviewfarm at bluefrog.com
Tue Jan 3 13:33:48 EST 2012

I planted some early season sweet corn (Sugar Pearl, 72 day) late in the season, due to our screwed up weather last summer and found that it tasted much better late in the season.  I think that it tasted just as good as longer season varieties, at that time of year.  Another organic grower concurred with me on that.  We think that it may have something to do with the soil being warmer.

As far as pests go, I buy Trichogramma wasps to control corn borer from IPM Labs in Locke, NY.  I have been "grinning and bearing it" with the earworm, which comes later in the season here.  You can apply pest control with a Zealator, but it is very labor intensive.  For the few ears which are not very saleable, I eat them myself or feed them to the cows.  If they aren't too bad, my customers just eat around the worms.  My customers also tell me that if the corn is okay for a worm to eat, then it's okay for them to eat.

Kurt Forman
Clearview Farm
Palmyra, NY 14522