[Market-farming] sweet corn?

Shoemaker, William H wshoemak at illinois.edu
Tue Jan 3 09:07:33 EST 2012

Early and large are two opposing traits, but one early variety I like a lot is Trinity http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7366-trinity-f1-natural-ii.aspx . It is good looking, productive, tasty and handles cool soils well for an early start.

If you are in the Midwest you'll need to be prepared for handling corn earworm. A local seed corn company or another grower may be using a pheremone trap to track its presence. You may be able to avoid the pest but you'll need to have local trap data to know whether you can avoid it or not. If no one else has one nearby, consider buying a trap and some pheremone strips.

Bill
William H. Shoemaker
University of Illinois, Crop Sciences
St Charles Horticulture Research Center