[Market-farming] Weed and Till cultivators

Marlin Burkholder burkholders at glenecofarm.com
Mon Feb 27 22:20:01 EST 2012

I¹ve been doing some thinking recently of a hand pushed cultivator called
³Weed and Till² offered by some garden supply places.  It consists of a
rolling cylinder with sharp steel cleats designed to roll down and cut up
weeds and clods followed by a five shovel cultivator, and looks to be about
18 inches wide.  I would use it to clean up and prep seedbeds inside high
tunnels.  It looks like it would be a bear to push by hand.  I am a pretty
big guy and should be able to handle it if anybody could.  However I find
the pictures of them to be a little intimidating.  Has anyone used these
things?  Are they worth considering?  JSS has their ³Tilthier² which looks
pretty clever but I bet it would go through a rechargeable power tool
battery pretty fast and it looks a little pricey.

Marlin Burkholder
Virginia