[Market-farming] Keeping "Rolling Thunder" on the ground.

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Sun Feb 26 09:40:16 EST 2012

On 2/26/2012 at 9:35:16 AM, Marlin Burkholder wrote:
> Several months ago I submitted an application to NRCS for a grant to put up a
> “Rolling Thunder” moveable high tunnel.  The high winds we have been
> experiencing for this past week have gotten me scared.  I have read some of
> Elliot Coleman’s material about these things and I don’t think his system for
> wind anchoring them would hold up to the winds we get here.  His site appears
> to have woods with a lot of evergreen trees within several hundred feet of
> his high tunnels.  We have scattered patches of mostly hardwood and a few
> eastern red cedars forest and we sit between two hills where late winter wind
> sucks through with relentless force.
>
> I would be interested in others’ experiences with “Rolling Thunder” tunnels
> and what they think would be sufficient to hold them on the ground during the
> near hurricane force winds which we can expect every spring.
> I really don’t want to take many risks with an investment of $7000 per tunnel
> even if the government is going to pay for part of it.

The day before tropical storm Irene blew through last year, I spent the day pounding in extra ground posts to hold down our two Rolling Thunders, along with placing extra weights around the entire outside, wiring in the sides of the roll-up sides, and screwing down the vents. We survived. Extra ground posts are definitely a possibility for you, I'd think.

  Richard Robinson
  www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
  Hopestill Farm
  www.hopestill.com